Monday, February 21, 2011

Introducing .giffy Lube




It's time to try something new here on The Fairweather Channel. There's plenty moments on TV out there you may just want (or don't want) to see over and over again. And thanks to the modern day concept of watching television on computers, you will be able to do just that.

If you haven't done so already, just follow me on Twitter and check out some of the interesting .giffable moments in your sports (and regular TV) viewing lives. Perhaps you don't do the Twitter thing or don't like to sift through plenty of babble, so I'll do you a favor and post some of the great .giffable moments here.

1. Bill Walton banging a drum on Grateful Dead Night
(Originally posted: http://twitpic.com/3y6d19)

Once reviled by many in the Sacramento Kings' tightly knit clique of fans, Bill Walton is starting to strike a soft spot with some. Looking back, the broadcasting crew of Tom Hammond, Steve Snapper Jones, and Bill Walton on NBC was some of the best sportscasting to the fringe sports viewer. If you want to get someone mildly interested in sports to watch a game, you don't bore them with copious amounts of statistics or shallow sports generalisms (that's what blogs and newspapers are for), you bring in the talking heads that can bring up interesting factoids about the other facets of the game.

Good job Maloofs on hiring Bill Walton, but no thanks on hiring Jim Gray. He can remain in the past and on Raiders Preseason Telecasts.

2. Spike Lee Bringing Wild Wild West To LA

I don't remember being so bored with an NBA All Star Game since maybe the last one. But at least you can trust Los Angeles to be gracious hosts and invite local acts like Josh Groban to sing the American National Anthem. They also had the courtesy to not invite local acts like the Black Eyed Peas to perform at halftime. I think plenty of Americans are still mad at the Super Bowl organizers in Arlington over that.

Anyway, Spike Lee knows how to dress for a good time. Hope you enjoy Carmelo there in New York, Denver enjoyed his antics too, very much so.



3. Dwight Howard: The Human GIF Machine

I can't say I've heard anyone calling Dwight "chocolate shoulders" before, except maybe Dwight Howard himself. But when you're doing the things you do as Dwight Howard, I expect you to create your own nicknames for yourself. Once Howard becomes an aging commodity the likes of Chris Webber, I hope to see him entertaining the masses on a color commentary or intermission report near myself.

(Boom! I had to post this here, http://yfrog.com/hsh40g, totally exceeded my TwitPic limits)

I haven't had a Gatorade beverage since maybe 2007, and I'm not missing any of the electrolytes I could be regaining with it. That does not mean I cannot enjoy any of the fine advertisements for free. Dwight Howard really is just an animated character who plays basketball, like Doug Funnie.

4. Kissing Cousins

Demarcus Cousins has been a lot of things this rookie year. If I were to put his antics to one word (and if you know me well you know what I'd say) it'd be "silly". He's the brooding star the Sacramento Kings were expecting him to be one night, another night he's Jamarcus Russell with a stronger work ethic and destructive tendencies. Either way I like where the Sacramento Kings are going with their young core of players. I cannot say I like where the Kings may be going physically (and spiritually), but the franchise should be entertaining to watch regardless where they may be someday.

5. Caroline Wozniacki Solid Effort

I'm going to be honest, I did not know who Caroline Wozniacki was until the 2011 Australian Open. If you ask me who ended up winning the singles, I did not pay that much attention to that detail. But thanks to the big events such as the Aussie Open, fringe sports guys like me can watch and get a good feel for who these up and coming greats are on an international stage. Also, thank you slow motion.

------------

Hope these moving pictures moved you to enjoy the Fringe Side of Sports...

No comments:

Post a Comment